Tuesday, July 7, 2009

does good prevail over evil

I've wonder so much lately at what point does forgiveness just not happen? I consider myself a very forgiven person. I have forgiven the man I was 'supposed' to marry as he marched his steps towards sobriety. I have forgiven the man that left me alone and pregnant. I have also forgiven a best friend who slept with my 'kinda' boyfriend in the room next to mine. How does one forgive a parent? I think if I were a kid then forgiveness would come a lot easier without a lot of thought. You trust and love that parent so unconditionally that it's easy to move on in mere minutes. As an adult of 30+ years, it is a whole lot harder as we see deep into them and realize that sometimes not everything can be forgiven. A trust between a parent and child is not one to be taken lightly. I feel like the trust my son has in me - to cloth him, feed him, keep him safe are the most basic, but then it gets to the next level of the trust that I will be there, keep his secrets and fears, hold him when he's sad and push him to be his best. Sometimes parents are just not capable of all of those things and they do the best the can - but when a parent purposely tries and succeeds in hurting their child (even an adult one) - I'm not sure that can be as easily forgiven. At what point do you stop trying to forgive and move on?

No comments:

Post a Comment